congress: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (n.kong'grisv.k&schwan&sylpgres', k&schwang-), [key]
- (cap.) the 96th Congress.
- the national legislative body of the U.S., consisting of the Senate, or upper house, and the House of Representatives, or lower house, as a continuous institution.
- this body as it exists for a period of two years during which it has the same membership:the 96th Congress.
- a session of this body:to speak in Congress.
- the national legislative body of a nation, esp. of a republic.
- a formal meeting or assembly of representatives for the discussion, arrangement, or promotion of some matter of common interest.
- the act of coming together; an encounter; meeting.
- an association, esp. one composed of representatives of various organizations.
- familiar relations; dealings; intercourse.
- coitus; sexual intercourse.
- to assemble together; meet in congress.
- congress (Thesaurus)