Meaning of cloister
Pronunciation: (kloi'stur), [key]
- a covered walk, esp. in a religious institution, having an open arcade or colonnade usually opening onto a courtyard.
- a courtyard, esp. in a religious institution, bordered with such walks.
- a place of religious seclusion, as a monastery or convent.
- any quiet, secluded place.
- life in a monastery or convent.
- to confine in a monastery or convent.
- to confine in retirement; seclude.
- to furnish with a cloister or covered walk.
- to convert into a monastery or convent.
- cloister (Thesaurus)