blink: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (blingk), [key]
- to open and close the eye, esp. involuntarily; wink rapidly and repeatedly.
- to look with winking or half-shut eyes: I blinked at the harsh morning light.
- to be startled, surprised, or dismayed (usually fol. by at): She blinked at his sudden fury.
- to look evasively or with indifference; ignore (often fol. by at): to blink at another's eccentricities.
- to shine unsteadily, dimly, or intermittently; twinkle: The light on the buoy blinked in the distance.
- to open and close (the eye or eyes), usually rapidly and repeatedly; wink: She blinked her eyes in an effort to wake up.
- to cause (something) to blink: We blinked the flashlight frantically, but there was no response.
- to ignore deliberately; evade; shirk.
- an act of blinking: The faithful blink of the lighthouse.
- a gleam; glimmer: There was not a blink of light anywhere.
- a glance or glimpse.
- not in proper working order; in need of repair: The washing machine is on the blink again.
- blink (Thesaurus)