Meaning of assist
Pronunciation: (u-sist'), [key]
- to give support or aid to; help: Please assist him in moving the furniture.
- to be associated with as an assistant or helper.
- to give aid or help.
- to be present, as at a meeting or ceremony.
- Baseball.a play that helps to put out a batter or base runner.
- Basketball, Ice Hockey. a play that helps a teammate in gaining a goal.
- the official credit scored for such plays.
- a helpful act: She finished her homework without an assist from her father.
- an electrical, hydraulic, or mechanical means of increasing power, efficiency, or ease of use: a luxury automobile equipped with assists for brakes, steering, windows, and seat adjustment.
- assist (Thesaurus)