Meaning of ascent
Pronunciation: (u-sent'), [key]
- an act of ascending; upward movement; a rising movement: the ascent of a balloon.
- movement upward from a lower to a higher state, degree, grade, or status; advancement: His ascent to the governorship came after a long political career.
- the act of climbing or traveling up: Three climbers attempted the ascent of Mount Rainier.
- the way or means of ascending; upward slope; acclivity.
- a movement or return toward a source or beginning.
- the degree of inclination; gradient: a steep ascent.
- ascent (Thesaurus)