announce: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-nouns'), [key]
— v., -nounced, -nounc•ing.
- to make known publicly or officially; proclaim; give notice of: to announce a special sale.
- to state the approach or presence of: to announce guests; to announce dinner.
- to make known to the mind or senses.
- to serve as an announcer of: The mayor announced the program.
- to state; declare.
- to state in advance; declare beforehand.
- to write, or have printed, and send a formal declaration of an event, esp. a social event, as a wedding.
- to be employed or serve as an announcer, esp. of a radio or television broadcast: She announces for the local radio station.
- to declare one's candidacy, as for a political office (usually fol. by for): We are hoping that he will announce for governor.
- announce (Thesaurus)