Meaning of al
Pronunciation: (äl), [key]
Pronunciation: (al), [key]
- a male given name: form of
- form ofused for either gender before a vowel or h.
- var. ofbefore l: allure.
- a word in Arabic names meaning “family” or “the house of ”: Al-Saud, or the members of the house of Saud.
- a suffix with the general sense “of the kind of, pertaining to, having the form or character of” that named by the stem, occurring in loanwords from Latin (autumnal; natural; pastoral), and productive in English on the Latin model, usually with bases of Latin origin (accidental; seasonal; tribal). Originally,was restricted to stems not containing an -l- (cf.); recent lapses in this rule have produced semantically distinct pairs, as familiar and familial. Cf.
- a suffix forming nouns from verbs, usually verbs of French or Latin origin: denial; refusal.
- a suffix indicating that a compound contains an aldehyde group: chloral.
- Alabama (approved esp. for use with zip code).
— Symbol, Chem.
- other things.
- other persons.
- American League.
- American Legion.
- autograph letter.
- al (Thesaurus)