Meaning of accelerator
Pronunciation: (ak-sel'u-rā"tur), [key]
- a person or thing that accelerates.
- a device, usually operated by the foot, for controlling the speed of an engine.
- any two- or three-wheeled motor vehicle, as a motorcycle or motor scooter.
- a chemical, usually an alkali, added to a developer to increase the rate of development.
- Also calledany substance that increases the speed of a chemical change, as one that increases the rate of vulcanization of rubber or that hastens the setting of concrete, mortar, plaster, or the like.
- any muscle, nerve, or activating substance that quickens a movement.
- Also calledan electrostatic or electromagnetic device, as a cyclotron, that produces high-energy particles and focuses them on a target.
- accelerator (Thesaurus)