Top News Stories from 1906
Population: 4.378 billionpopulation by decade
Nobel Peace Prize: Theodore Roosevelt (US)More World Statistics...
- Roald Amundsen, Norwegian explorer, locates Magnetic North Pole.
- Ethiopia declared independent in a tripartite pact; country is divided into British, French, and Italian spheres of influence.
- Finland is the first European country to give women the vote.
President: Theodore Roosevelt
Vice President: Charles W. Fairbanks
Population: 85,450,000More U.S. Statistics...
- More than 500 people are killed during the San Francisco earthquake and ensuing three-day fire. Background: Great Disasters
- President Roosevelt sails to the Panama Canal Zone. It is the first time a U.S. president has travelled outside the country while in office.
Federal spending: $0.57 billion
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesChicago White Sox d. Chicago Cubs (4-2)
Stanley CupMontreal Wanderers
WimbledonWomen: Dorothea Douglass d. M. Sutton (6-3 9-7)
Men: Laurie Doherty d. F. Riseley (6-4 4-6 6-2 6-3)
Kentucky Derby ChampionSir Huon
NCAA Football ChampionsPrinceton (9-0-1) 1906 Summer Olympics
Nobel Prize for Literature: Giosuè Carducci (Italy)More Entertainment Awards...
- Reginald Fessenden invents wireless telephony, a means for radio waves to carry signals a significant distance.
- Upton Sinclair exposes the public-health threat of the meat-packing industry in The Jungle.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Henri Moissan (France), for isolation of fluorine, and introduction of electric furnace
Physics: Sir Joseph Thomson (UK), for investigations on passage of electricity through gases
Physiology or Medicine: Camillo Golgi (Italy) and Santiago Ramón y Cajal (Spain), for work on structure of the nervous systemMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...
- English biochemist Frederick Hopkins concludes that vitamins are essential and that a lack of vitamins causes scurvy and rickets.
- British geologist and seismologist Richard Dixon Oldham notes that earthquake waves travel more slowly when they pass through the center of the Earth, and suggests that our planet has a dense core.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.