Top News Stories from 1902
Population: 4.378 billionpopulation by decade More World Statistics...
- Enrico Caruso makes his first gramophone recording.
- Aswan Dam is completed in central Egypt, becoming the chief means of storing irrigation water for the Nile valley.
- Cuba gains independence from Spain.
President: Theodore Roosevelt
Vice President: none
Population: 79,163,000More U.S. Statistics...
- Bureau of the Census is established; it later becomes part of the Department of Commerce.
- Approximately 150 thousand United Mine Workers strike in Pennsylvania for a wage increase and more suitable hours.
Federal spending: $0.49 billion
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
Stanley CupMontreal AAA
WimbledonWomen: Sir Ronald Ross (UK), for work on malaria (7-5 6-1) Women: Muriel Robb d. C. Sterry (7-5 6-1)
Men: Laurie Doherty d. A. Gore (6-4 6-3 3-6 6-0)
Kentucky Derby ChampionAlan-a-Dale
NCAA Football ChampionsMichigan (11-0-0)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Theodor Mommsen (Germany)More Entertainment Awards...
- McClure's Magazine prints "Tweed Days in St. Louis" by C.H. Wetmore and Lincoln Steffens. The article introduces the muckraking era.
- Claude Debussy introduces impressionism to music in Pelléas and Mélisande at the Opéra Comique in Paris.
- Beatrix Potter writes her first Peter Rabbit story.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Physics: Hendrik A. Lorentz and Pieter Zeeman (Netherlands), for work on influence of magnetism upon radiationMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...