WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Zion, Sion
- usage: originally a stronghold captured by David (the 2nd king of the Israelites); above it was built a temple and later the name extended to the whole hill; finally it became a synonym for the city of Jerusalem; "the inhabitants of Jerusalem are personified as `the daughter of Zion'"
- 2. Israel, State of Israel, Yisrael, Zion, Sion
- usage: Jewish republic in southwestern Asia at eastern end of Mediterranean; formerly part of Palestine
- 3. Utopia, Zion, Sion, imaginary place, mythical place, fictitious place
- usage: an imaginary place considered to be perfect or ideal
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of zion (Dictionary)