Synonyms of waste
- 1. waste, waste material, waste matter, waste product, material, stuff
- usage: any materials unused and rejected as worthless or unwanted; "they collect the waste once a week"; "much of the waste material is carried off in the sewers"
- 2. waste, wastefulness, dissipation, activity
- usage: useless or profitless activity; using or expending or consuming thoughtlessly or carelessly; "if the effort brings no compensating gain it is a waste"; "mindless dissipation of natural resources"
- 3. thriftlessness, waste, wastefulness, improvidence, shortsightedness
- usage: the trait of wasting resources; "a life characterized by thriftlessness and waste"; "the wastefulness of missed opportunities"
- 4. barren, waste, wasteland, wilderness, wild
- usage: an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation; "the barrens of central Africa"; "the trackless wastes of the desert"
- 5. waste, permissive waste, act, deed, human action, human activity
- usage: (law) reduction in the value of an estate caused by act or neglect
- 1. waste, blow, squander, use, expend
- usage: spend thoughtlessly; throw away; "He wasted his inheritance on his insincere friends"; "You squandered the opportunity to get and advanced degree"
- 2. waste, use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ
- usage: use inefficiently or inappropriately; "waste heat"; "waste a joke on an unappreciative audience"
- 3. waste, discard, fling, toss, toss out, toss away, chuck out, cast aside, dispose, throw out, cast out, throw away, cast away, put away
- usage: get rid of; "We waste the dirty water by channeling it into the sewer"
- 4. waste, run off, run, flow, feed, course
- usage: run off as waste; "The water wastes back into the ocean"
- 5. neutralize, neutralise, liquidate, waste, knock off, do in, kill
- usage: get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing; "The mafia liquidated the informer"; "the double agent was neutralized"
- 6. consume, squander, waste, ware, spend, expend, drop
- usage: spend extravagantly; "waste not, want not"
- 7. pine away, waste, languish, weaken
- usage: lose vigor, health, or flesh, as through grief; "After her husband died, she just pined away"
- 8. waste, emaciate, macerate, enfeeble, debilitate, drain
- usage: cause to grow thin or weak; "The treatment emaciated him"
- 9. lay waste to, waste, devastate, desolate, ravage, scourge, destroy, ruin
- usage: cause extensive destruction or ruin utterly; "The enemy lay waste to the countryside after the invasion"
- 10. waste, rot, devolve, deteriorate, drop, degenerate
- usage: become physically weaker; "Political prisoners are wasting away in many prisons all over the world"
- 1. godforsaken, waste, wild, inhospitable (vs. hospitable)
- usage: located in a dismal or remote area; desolate; "a desert island"; "a godforsaken wilderness crossroads"; "a wild stretch of land"; "waste places"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of waste (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.