WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. southern (vs. northern), Confederate, grey, gray
- usage: in or characteristic of a region of the United States south of (approximately) the Mason-Dixon line; "southern hospitality"; "southern cooking"; "southern plantations"
- 2. southerly, southern, south (vs. north)
- usage: situated in or oriented toward the south; "a southern exposure"; "took a southerly course"
- 3. southern (vs. northern), austral, meridional, south-central
- usage: situated in or coming from regions of the south; "the southern hemisphere"; "southern constellations"
- 4. southerly, southern, south (vs. north)
- usage: from the south; used especially of wind; "a hot southerly wind"; "southern breezes"; "the winds are southerly"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of southern (Dictionary)