- 1. slot, position, spatial relation
- usage: a position in a grammatical linguistic construction in which a variety of alternative units are interchangeable; "he developed a version of slot grammar"
- 2. slot, slit
- usage: a small slit (as for inserting a coin or depositing mail); "he put a quarter in the slot"
- 3. time slot, slot, time interval, interval
- usage: a time assigned on a schedule or agenda; "the TV program has a new time slot"; "an aircraft landing slot"
- 4. slot, status, position
- usage: a position in a hierarchy or organization; "Bob Dylan occupied the top slot for several weeks"; "she beat some tough competition for the number one slot"
- 5. slot, trail
- usage: the trail of an animal (especially a deer); "he followed the deer's slot over the soft turf to the edge of the trees"
- 6. slot, expansion slot, receptacle
- usage: (computer) a socket in a microcomputer that will accept a plug-in circuit board; "the PC had three slots for additional memory"
- 7. slot, one-armed bandit, slot machine, coin machine
- usage: a slot machine that is used for gambling; "they spend hours and hours just playing the slots"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. slot, schedule
- usage: assign a time slot; "slot a television program"
All rights reserved.
See also: slot (Dictionary)