- 1. sedate, calm, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, affect
- usage: cause to be calm or quiet as by administering a sedative to; "The patient must be sedated before the operation"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sedate, staid, decorous (vs. indecorous)
- usage: characterized by dignity and propriety
- 2. grave, sedate, sober, solemn, serious (vs. frivolous)
- usage: dignified and somber in manner or character and committed to keeping promises; "a grave God-fearing man"; "a quiet sedate nature"; "as sober as a judge"; "a solemn promise"; "the judge was solemn as he pronounced sentence"
All rights reserved.
See also: sedate (Dictionary)