- 1. one-fourth, fourth, one-quarter, quarter, fourth part, twenty-five percent, quartern, common fraction, simple fraction
- usage: one of four equal parts; "a quarter of a pound"
- 2. quarter, city district
- usage: a district of a city having some distinguishing character; "the Latin Quarter"
- 3. quarter, part, section, division
- usage: (football, professional basketball) one of four divisions into which some games are divided; "both teams scored in the first quarter"
- 4. quarter, time unit, unit of time
- usage: a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour; "it's a quarter til 4"; "a quarter after 4 o'clock"
- 5. quarter, school term, academic term, academic session, session
- usage: one of four periods into which the school year is divided; "the fall quarter ends at Christmas"
- 6. quarter, time period, period of time, period
- usage: a fourth part of a year; three months; "unemployment fell during the last quarter"
- 7. quarter, orientation
- usage: one of the four major division of the compass; "the wind is coming from that quarter"
- 8. quarter, avoirdupois unit
- usage: a quarter of a hundredweight (25 pounds)
- 9. quarter, British capacity unit, Imperial capacity unit
- usage: a quarter of a hundredweight (28 pounds)
- 10. quarter, coin
- usage: a United States or Canadian coin worth one fourth of a dollar; "he fed four quarters into the slot machine"
- 11. quarter, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: an unspecified person; "he dropped a word in the right quarter"
- 12. stern, after part, quarter, poop, tail, rear, back
- usage: the rear part of a ship
- 13. quarter, piece of leather
- usage: piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
- 14. quarter, clemency, mercifulness, mercy
- usage: clemency or mercy shown to a defeated opponent; "he surrendered but asked for quarter"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. quarter, billet, canton, lodge, accommodate
- usage: provide housing for (military personnel)
- 2. draw, quarter, draw and quarter, kill
- usage: pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him; "in the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes"
- 3. quarter, segment, section
- usage: divide into quarters; "quarter an apple"
- 4. quarter, divide, fraction
- usage: divide by four; divide into quarters
All rights reserved.
See also: quarter (Dictionary)