- 1. principal, debt
- usage: the original amount of a debt on which interest is calculated
- 2. principal, school principal, head teacher, head, educator, pedagogue, pedagog
- usage: the educator who has executive authority for a school; "she sent unruly pupils to see the principal"
- 3. star, principal, lead, actor, histrion, player, thespian, role player
- usage: an actor who plays a principal role
- 4. principal, corpus, principal sum, capital
- usage: capital as contrasted with the income derived from it
- 5. principal, wrongdoer, offender
- usage: (criminal law) any person involved in a criminal offense, regardless of whether the person profits from such involvement
- 6. principal, dealer, financier, moneyman
- usage: the major party to a financial transaction at a stock exchange; buys and sells for his own account
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. chief(prenominal), main(prenominal), primary(prenominal), principal(prenominal), master(prenominal), important (vs. unimportant), of import
- usage: most important element; "the chief aim of living"; "the main doors were of solid glass"; "the principal rivers of America"; "the principal example"; "policemen were primary targets"; "the master bedroom"; "a master switch"
All rights reserved.
See also: principal (Dictionary)