- 1. preventive, preventative, prophylactic, remedy, curative, cure, therapeutic
- usage: remedy that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease; "the doctor recommended several preventatives"
- 2. hindrance, hinderance, hitch, preventive, preventative, encumbrance, incumbrance, interference, obstruction, obstructor, obstructer, impediment, impedimenta
- usage: any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
- 3. contraceptive, preventive, preventative, contraceptive device, prophylactic device, birth control device, device
- usage: an agent or device intended to prevent conception
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. preventive, preventative, prophylactic, healthful (vs. unhealthful)
- usage: preventing or contributing to the prevention of disease; "preventive medicine"; "vaccines are prophylactic"; "a prophylactic drug"
- 2. preventive (vs. permissive), preventative, blockading, clogging, hindering, impeding, obstructive, deterrent, frustrating, frustrative, thwarting, precautionary, precautional, preclusive, obviating(prenominal), preemptive, pre-emptive, prohibitive, prohibitory, protective
- usage: tending to prevent or hinder
All rights reserved.
See also: preventive (Dictionary)