- 1. part, portion, component part, component, constituent, relation
- usage: something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"; "the animal constituent of plankton"
- 2. part, portion, object, physical object
- usage: something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
- 3. parcel, portion, share, allotment, apportionment, apportioning, allocation, parceling, parcelling, assignation
- usage: the allotment of some amount by dividing something; "death gets more than its share of attention from theologians"
- 4. share, portion, part, percentage, assets
- usage: assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group; "he wanted his share in cash"
- 5. fortune, destiny, fate, luck, lot, circumstances, portion, condition
- usage: your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion"
- 6. dowry, dowery, dower, portion, gift
- usage: money or property brought by a woman to her husband at marriage
- 7. helping, portion, serving, small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
- usage: an individual quantity of food or drink taken as part of a meal; "the helpings were all small"; "his portion was larger than hers"; "there's enough for two servings each"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. assign, allot, portion, distribute, administer, mete out, deal, parcel out, lot, dispense, shell out, deal out, dish out, allot, dole out
- usage: give out; "We were assigned new uniforms"
All rights reserved.
See also: portion (Dictionary)