WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. patriarch, spiritual leader
- usage: title for the heads of the Eastern Orthodox Churches (in Istanbul and Alexandria and Moscow and Jerusalem)
- 2. patriarch, paterfamilias, man, adult male, head of household
- usage: the male head of family or tribe
- 3. patriarch, forefather, father, sire
- usage: any of the early biblical characters regarded as fathers of the human race
- 4. patriarch, old man, greybeard, graybeard, Methuselah
- usage: a man who is older and higher in rank than yourself
All rights reserved.
See also: patriarch (Dictionary)