Synonyms of name
- 1. name, language unit, linguistic unit
- usage: a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- 2. name, repute, reputation
- usage: a person's reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name"
- 3. name, gens, family, family line, folk, kinfolk, kinsfolk, sept, phratry
- usage: family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- 4. name, figure, public figure, important person, influential person, personage
- usage: a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music"
- 5. name, sanction
- usage: by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law"
- 6. name, epithet, defamation, calumny, calumniation, obloquy, traducement, hatchet job
- usage: a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
- 1. name, call, label
- usage: assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- 2. name, identify, denote, refer
- usage: give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- 3. name, nominate, make, appoint, charge
- usage: charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
- 4. appoint, name, nominate, constitute, establish, found, plant, constitute, institute
- usage: create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee"
- 5. name, specify, set, determine, define, fix, limit
- usage: mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
- 6. mention, advert, bring up, cite, name, refer, think of, have in mind, mean
- usage: make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- 7. identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name
- usage: identify as in botany or biology, for example
- 8. list, name, enumerate, recite, itemize, itemise
- usage: give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- 9. diagnose, name, analyze, analyse, study, examine, canvass, canvas
- usage: determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of name (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.