- 1. nail, horny structure, unguis
- usage: horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- 2. nail, fastener, fastening, holdfast, fixing
- usage: a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
- 3. nail, linear unit, linear measure
- usage: a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. nail, attach
- usage: attach something somewhere by means of nails; "nail the board onto the wall"
- 2. collar, nail, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop, seize, prehend, clutch
- usage: take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
- 3. smash, nail, boom, blast, hit
- usage: hit hard; "He smashed a 3-run homer"
- 4. nail down, nail, peg, succeed, win, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods
- usage: succeed in obtaining a position; "He nailed down a spot at Harvard"
- 5. breeze through, ace, pass with flying colors, sweep through, sail through, nail, pass, make it
- usage: succeed at easily; "She sailed through her exams"; "You will pass with flying colors"; "She nailed her astrophysics course"
- 6. pinpoint, nail, locate, turn up
- usage: locate exactly; "can you pinpoint the position of the enemy?"; "The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome"
- 7. complete, nail, play
- usage: complete a pass
All rights reserved.
See also: nail (Dictionary)