WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hair, body covering
- usage: a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures (as on the human head); helps to prevent heat loss; "he combed his hair"; "each hair consists of layers of dead keratinized cells"
- 2. hair's-breadth, hairsbreadth, hair, whisker, small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
- usage: a very small distance or space; "they escaped by a hair's-breadth"; "they lost the election by a whisker"
- 3. hair, fuzz, tomentum, plant process, enation
- usage: filamentous hairlike growth on a plant; "peach fuzz"
- 4. hair, pilus, filament, filum
- usage: any of the cylindrical filaments characteristically growing from the epidermis of a mammal; "there is a hair in my soup"
- 5. haircloth, hair, fabric, cloth, material, textile
- usage: cloth woven from horsehair or camelhair; used for upholstery or stiffening in garments
- 6. hair, process, outgrowth, appendage
- usage: a filamentous projection or process on an organism
All rights reserved.
See also: hair (Dictionary)