WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. gumbo, gumbo soil, soil, dirt
- usage: any of various fine-grained silty soils that become waxy and very sticky mud when saturated with water
- 2. okra, gumbo, okra plant, lady's-finger, Abelmoschus esculentus, Hibiscus esculentus, herb, herbaceous plant
- usage: tall coarse annual of Old World tropics widely cultivated in southern United States and West Indies for its long mucilaginous green pods used as basis for soups and stews; sometimes placed in genus Hibiscus
- 3. gumbo, okra, vegetable, veggie, veg
- usage: long mucilaginous green pods; may be simmered or sauteed but used especially in soups and stews
- 4. gumbo, soup
- usage: a soup or stew thickened with okra pods
All rights reserved.
See also: gumbo (Dictionary)