- 1. flare, flame up, blaze up, burn up, burn, combust
- usage: burn brightly; "Every star seemed to flare with new intensity"
- 2. flare out, flare, widen
- usage: become flared and widen, usually at one end; "The bellbottom pants flare out"
- 3. flare, flame, shine, beam
- usage: shine with a sudden light; "The night sky flared with the massive bombardment"
- 4. erupt, irrupt, flare up, flare, break open, burst out, intensify, deepen
- usage: erupt or intensify suddenly; "Unrest erupted in the country"; "Tempers flared at the meeting"; "The crowd irrupted into a burst of patriotism"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. aflare, flaring, moving (vs. nonmoving)
- usage: streaming or flapping or spreading wide as if in a current of air; "ran quickly, her flaring coat behind her"; "flags aflare in the breeze"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of flaring (Dictionary)