Synonyms of firing
- 1. fire, firing, attack, onslaught, onset, onrush
- usage: the act of firing weapons or artillery at an enemy; "hold your fire until you can see the whites of their eyes"; "they retreated in the face of withering enemy fire"
- 2. discharge, firing, firing off, shooting, shot
- usage: the act of discharging a gun
- 3. ignition, firing, lighting, kindling, inflammation, burning, combustion
- usage: the act of setting something on fire
- 4. dismissal, dismission, discharge, firing, liberation, release, sack, sacking, termination, ending, conclusion
- usage: the termination of someone's employment (leaving them free to depart)
- 1. open fire, fire, blast, shoot
- usage: start firing a weapon
- 2. fire, discharge
- usage: cause to go off; "fire a gun"; "fire a bullet"
- 3. fire, bake
- usage: bake in a kiln so as to harden; "fire pottery"
- 4. displace, fire, give notice, can, dismiss, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate, remove
- usage: terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position; "The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
- 5. fire, discharge, go off
- usage: go off or discharge; "The gun fired"
- 6. fire, chase away, drive out, turn back, drive away, dispel, drive off, run off
- usage: drive out or away by or as if by fire; "The soldiers were fired"; "Surrender fires the cold skepticism"
- 7. arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke, make, create
- usage: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
- 8. burn, fire, burn down, destroy, ruin
- usage: destroy by fire; "They burned the house and his diaries"
- 9. fuel, fire, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: provide with fuel; "Oil fires the furnace"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of firing (Dictionary)