WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. duty, responsibility, obligation, social control
- usage: the social force that binds you to the courses of action demanded by that force; "we must instill a sense of duty in our children"; "every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty"- John D.Rockefeller Jr
- 2. duty, work
- usage: work that you are obliged to perform for moral or legal reasons; "the duties of the job"
- 3. duty, tariff, indirect tax
- usage: a government tax on imports or exports; "they signed a treaty to lower duties on trade between their countries"
All rights reserved.
See also: duty (Dictionary)