WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. distortion, deformation, damage, harm, impairment
- usage: a change for the worse
- 2. distorted shape, distortion, shape, form
- usage: a shape resulting from distortion
- 3. aberration, distortion, optical aberration, optical phenomenon
- usage: an optical phenomenon resulting from the failure of a lens or mirror to produce a good image
- 4. distortion, electrical phenomenon, acoustic phenomenon
- usage: a change (usually undesired) in the waveform of an acoustic or analog electrical signal; the difference between two measurements of a signal (as between the input and output signal); "heavy metal guitar players use vacuum tube amplifiers to produce extreme distortion"
- 5. distortion, overrefinement, straining, torture, twisting, falsification, misrepresentation
- usage: the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
- 6. distortion, mistake, error, fault
- usage: the mistake of misrepresenting the facts
All rights reserved.
See also: distortion (Dictionary)