Synonyms of demand
- 1. demand, request, petition, postulation
- usage: an urgent or peremptory request; "his demands for attention were unceasing"
- 2. demand, economic process
- usage: the ability and desire to purchase goods and services; "the automobile reduced the demand for buggywhips"; "the demand exceeded the supply"
- 3. requirement, demand, duty, responsibility, obligation
- usage: required activity; "the requirements of his work affected his health"; "there were many demands on his time"
- 4. demand, activity
- usage: the act of demanding; "the kidnapper's exorbitant demands for money"
- 5. need, demand, condition, status
- usage: a condition requiring relief; "she satisfied his need for affection"; "God has no need of men to accomplish His work"; "there is a demand for jobs"
- 1. demand, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: request urgently and forcefully; "The victim's family is demanding compensation"; "The boss demanded that he be fired immediately"; "She demanded to see the manager"
- 2. necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand
- usage: require as useful, just, or proper; "It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
- 3. demand, exact, claim
- usage: claim as due or just; "The bank demanded payment of the loan"
- 4. demand, claim
- usage: lay legal claim to
- 5. demand, summon, summons, cite
- usage: summon to court
- 6. demand, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: ask to be informed of; "I demand an explanation"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of demand (Dictionary)