WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. equivocal (vs. unequivocal), ambiguous, double, forked, evasive, indeterminate, ambiguous
- usage: open to two or more interpretations; or of uncertain nature or significance; or (often) intended to mislead; "an equivocal statement"; "the polling had a complex and equivocal (or ambiguous) message for potential female candidates"; "the officer's equivocal behavior increased the victim's uneasiness"; "popularity is an equivocal crown"; "an equivocal response to an embarrassing question"
- 2. ambiguous (vs. unambiguous), double-barreled, double-barrelled, double-edged, enigmatic, oracular, left-handed, multivalent, multi-valued, polysemous, polysemantic, uncertain, equivocal#1, ambiguous, unclear
- usage: having more than one possible meaning; "ambiguous words"; "frustrated by ambiguous instructions, the parents were unable to assemble the toy"
- 3. ambiguous, unstructured (vs. structured)
- usage: having no intrinsic or objective meaning; not organized in conventional patterns; "an ambiguous situation with no frame of reference"; "ambiguous inkblots"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of ambiguous (Dictionary)