Movie Quotes Quiz
"Round up the usual suspects."
- This quote signaled a turning point for the venal Capt. Louis Renault (Claude Rains) and ultimately led to the film's closing quote by Humphrey Bogart: "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"All right, Mr. De Mille. I'm ready for my close-up."
- The now completely unhinged Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) said this to the newsreel cameras as she was led off to jail.
"I'll be back."
- And he (Arnold Schwarzenegger) was back—for two more Terminator sequels before becoming the Governator.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate."
- Strother Martin, the actor playing the road crew captain who uttered this line, also acted with Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Slap Shot, Harper, and The Silver Chalice.
"There's no crying in baseball!"
- Tom Hanks's character, Jimmy Dugan, was loosely based on the real Baseball Hall of Famer Jimmy Foxx, who managed the Fort Wayne Daisies in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League.
"I feel the need—the need for speed!"
- Said by Maverick (Tom Cruise) and Goose (Anthony Edwards). This movie sparked a surge in U.S. Navy applications—especially when the Navy put recruiting booths in movie lobbies.
"Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!"
- Al Jolson ad libbed this line, the first to be spoken in a widely-released feature-length movie. The movie was originally slated just to have synchronized music and no dialogue. They decided to keep the line.
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
- Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) said this line first. Later, Michael (Al Pacino) did a similar take on the line: "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
- Said by Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore (Robert Duvall) to Lance B. Johnson (Sam Bottoms). Apocalypse Now was based on Joseph Conrad's novel, Heart of Darkness.
"As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."
- You'd rather not hear Hannibal Lector or the zombies of Night of the Living Dead say this. Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) returned to a looted Tara and said this line just before intermission—and a filmgoer's trip to the concession stand.