New York City Quiz
The New York Aquarium is located in which New York City borough?
- In 1896, the New York Aquarium first opened in Battery Park, Manhattan, but it was moved to its current location in Brooklyn in 1957.
New York City is home to the country's largest zoo, which features more than 4,000 animals. What is the name of the zoo?
- The Bronx Zoo first opened in 1899 with 843 animals.
What train station in Manhattan, built in 1913, often has art exhibits in a wing called Vanderbilt Hall?
- Millions of commuters pass through Grand Central Station every week.
Where were immigrants entering the United States through the port of New York medically and legally inspected?
- About 12 million immigrants passed through Ellis Island between 1892 and 1954.
In 2007, what contemporary art museum opened their new venue on Bowery Street in Manhattan?
- Marcia Tucker originally founded the New Museum of Contemporary Art in 1977.
What museum in Manhattan, which features 45 permanent exhibition halls, also publishes 10 magazine issues every year?
- At the New Hayden Planetarium, which opened in 2005, visitors can experience the Big Bang and the 13 billion-year-evolution of the universe.
What building was called the "eighth world wonder" when it was built in 1931?
- The Empire State Building was the tallest skyscraper in the world for 41 years, surpassed in 1972 by the World Trade Center.
What complex of buildings located between 48th St. and 51st St., and Fifth Ave. and the Avenue of the Americas was built between 1931 and 1939?
- Rockefeller Center was built during the Great Depression, providing much needed work for New Yorkers.
What stadium located in Flushing, Queens, is home to the New York Mets?
- The first game played at Shea Stadium in 1964 was between the New York Mets and the Pittsburgh Pirates in front of 48,736 fans.
What famous statue was shipped from France in 350 pieces and assembled in New York?
- The Statue of Liberty took four months to assemble and opened to the public in 1886.