Endangered Animals Quiz
Giant pandas mostly eat only one thing. What is it?
- Because bamboo is very low in nutrients, pandas must eat about 40 pounds of food each day.
What endangered animal is the largest land mammal?
- African elephants weigh up to 14,000 pounds and can eat as much as 600 pounds of food a day.
How fast can a cheetah run?
- The cheetah is the fastest land mammal. The peregrine falcon, which is also endangered, can dive at speeds of up to 200 m.p.h. and fly at a rate of 90 m.p.h., making it the fastest animal.
The endangered black rhinoceros is hunted for what?
- Poachers hunt black rhinos for their horns, which are used to make medicine and knives in some cultures.
Which endangered animal often gets caught in boat propellers?
- Such collisions are a major reason why the slow-moving manatee has become endangered.
What endangered animal is the largest member of the canine (dog) family?
- The average gray wolf is 26 to 32 inches tall at the shoulder and weighs from 55 to 115 pounds.
Which of the following does NOT cause animals to become endangered?
- The destruction of an animal's habitat can also cause animals to become endangered. This happens when humans fill swamps, dam rivers, and cut down trees to build homes, buildings, or roads.
What country is home to the most snow leopards?
- About 60% of all snow leopards live in China. The rest live in other chilly parts of Central Asia.
The blue whale's tongue is about the same size as which animal?
- The blue whale is the world's biggest animal. An average-size adult is about 80 feet long and weighs about 120 tons!
Which animal has the largest brain?
- The sperm whale's brain weighs about 20 pounds! Do you think it's also the smartest animal?