Food Around the World
Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
by Beth Rowen
- (South African) This popular meal is made of minced lamb or beef; bread, rice or potatoes, onions, and spices. The ingredients are mixed with egg and milk and baked.
- (French) This casserole, which means ?white bean stew,? is made of white beans, sausage, bacon, tomatoes, carrots, herbs, and other vegetables simmered and is simmered and baked.
- dim sum
- (Chinese) This meal is usually eaten as breakfast or lunch at a restaurant. Waiters push around trays loaded with noodles, dumplings, vegetables, and meat. Diners are served bite-sized portions in small bamboo cups.
- (Mexican) In this rich dish, a soft corn tortilla is stuffed with shredded cheese, onions, chilies, and sometimes meat. It?s either broiled or fried and topped with salsa and cheese.
- (Brazil) This is one of the most popular dishes in Brazil. It?s a stew of black beans, pork, and spices. Pigs? feet and ears are sometimes included in the mix.
- (Greek) Considered Greece?s signature dish, this casserole is made of lamb, eggplant, tomatoes, and spices.
- pad thai
- (Thai) This Thai staple features rice noodles stir-fried with peanuts, oil, vegetables, and usually tofu, chicken, or fish
- (Italian) This creamy, starchy rice dish is made by gradually adding boiling liquid, usually broth, to Arborio rice and sauted onions. It?s cooked al dente (firm to the bite). Vegetables and seafood are often added during the cooking process.
- (Indian) These snacks are made of meat, potatoes, vegetables, and spices stuffed inside pastry dough and fried in oil.
- (Japanese) This popular meal typically includes cooked rice that is either topped with raw or cooked fish or rolled into small, bite-size pieces with fish and vegetables and wrapped in thin sheets of seaweed. It?s usually served in with slivered ginger and wasabi, a spicy plant in the mustard family.
- (Nigerian) This spicy dish is made of cubed chicken or beef marinated in ground peanuts, hot pepper, garlic, ginger, and other spices and grilled on skewers.