2006 MacArthur Foundation Awards
Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
The MacArthur Foundation awards monetary prizes each year in order to provide financial assistance for selected innovators.
- David Carroll, 64, naturalist author/illustrator, Warner, N.H.
- Regina Carter, 44, jazz violinist, New York, N.Y.
- Kenneth Catania, 40, comparative neurobiologist, Nashville, Tenn.
- Lisa Curran, 45, tropical forester, New Haven, Conn.
- Kevin Eggan, 32, developmental biologist, Cambridge, Mass.
- James Fruchterman, 47, technologist, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Atul Gawande, 40, surgeon/author, Boston, Mass.
- Linda Griffith, 46, bioengineer, Cambridge, Mass.
- Victoria Hale, 45, pharmaceutical entrepreneur, San Francisco, Calif.
- Adrian LeBlanc, 42, narrative journalist, New York, N.Y.
- David Macaulay, 59, author/illustrator, Norwich, Vt.
- Josiah McElheny, 39, sculptor, New York, N.Y.
- D. Holmes Morton, 55, country doctor/research physician, Strasburg, Pa.
- John A. Rich, 47, physician, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Jennifer Richeson, 34, social psychologist, Evanston, Ill.
- Sarah Ruhl, 32, playwright, New York, N.Y.
- George Saunders, 47, short story writer, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Anna Schuleit, commemorative artist, New York, N.Y.
- Shahzia Sikander, 37, painter, New York, N.Y.
- Terence Tao, 31, mathematician, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Claire Tomlin, 37, aviation engineer, Stanford, Calif.
- Luis von Ahn, 28, computer scientist, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Edith Widder, 55, deep-sea explorer, Ft. Pierce, Fla.
- Matias Zaldarriaga, 35, cosmologist, Cambridge, Mass.
- John Zorn, 53, musician/composer, New York, N.Y.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.