Updated February 28, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
Science projects for all grades.
More Science Projects
Starting a Science Project
- What Makes A Good Science Project?
- Some advice from a science fair judge
- The Parts of a Science Project
- The idea behind a science project is to discover "what happens if." What happens to one thing if you change something else?
- Science Fair Projects: Understanding and Using the Scientific Method
- The scientific method is extremely important to your science fair project, and understanding it is critical to the success of your science fair experiment.
- Questions From Science Judges
- How did you come up with the idea for this project? and more
Chemistry Projects For Beginners
- Salt or Sugar: Which Dissolves Faster in Different Liquids
- In this experiment, you'll see how salt and sugar molecules move within different liquids and dissolve at different rates.
- For reference: Liquid, Molecule, Sodium Chloride, Solution, Solvent, Sugar
- What Household Cleaners Break Down Jell-O Best?
- Test five different household cleaners to see which products most effectively break down protein contained in the Jell-O.
- For reference: Enzyme, Gelatin
- Lemon Power
- Use a lemon to make a voltaic battery and even power a digital watch.
- For reference: Battery, Electrode, Electrolyte
- What Substance Melts Ice Fastest?
- Sprinkle various materials on ice cubes to test their melting properties.
- For reference: Ice
Chemistry Projects For Intermediate Levels
- Are All Pennies Created Equal?
- Explore the chemical composition of pennies minted during the past 30 or 35 years, to figure out if and when it has changed.
- For reference: Copper, Density, Mass, Zinc
- Can You Be a Human Battery?
- What you're trying to make happen is to have electrons travel through your body from one metal to the other. If you can do this, you're a human battery.
- For reference: Aluminum, Battery, Copper, Electric Circuit, Electron, Multimeter
- Splitting H2O (Water) to Make Oxygen and Hydrogen
- Water is made up of two elements, hydrogen and oxygen, and these gases can be produced through electrolysis.
- For reference: Electrode, Gelatin, Water
- What Materials Make the Best Crystals?
- Experiment with two solutes, salt and sugar, in order to see which one makes the best crystals.
- For reference: Crystal, Sodium Chloride, Solution, Solvent, Supersaturated
Chemistry Projects For Advanced Levels
- Which Metal Corrodes the Fastest?
- Test five metalsÃ¢ÂÂsilver, steel, zinc, copper, and aluminumÃ¢ÂÂto see which corrodes fastest in water and in salt water.
- For reference: Corrosion, Iron, Oxidation and Reduction, Aluminum, Copper, Silver, Steel, Zinc
- What's in a Color?
- The process of separating the colored compounds in a mixture is called chromatography.
- For reference: Chromatography, Color, Colors