1100?1199 (A.D.) World History
Updated February 28, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
- Construction of Cathedral at Chartres, France.
- Second Crusade begins.
- c. 1150
- Angkor Wat is completed.
- Universities of Paris and Oxford founded in France and England.
- Thomas Becket named Archbishop of Canterbury, murdered by Henry II's men (1170). Troubadours (wandering minstrels) glorify romantic concepts of feudalism.
- Ibn-Rushd begins translating Aristotle's works.
- Richard I (?the Lionhearted?) succeeds Henry II in England, killed in France (1199), succeeded by King John. Third Crusade.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.