Extensive changes were made in the college during the 19th cent. Numerous schools were added, such as medicine (1813), divinity (1822), law (1824), graduate studies (1847), and art and architecture (1865); as a result in 1887, under Timothy Dwight , the college was renamed Yale Univ. Later, other schools were added: music (1894), forestry (1900, now forestry and environmental studies), nursing (1923), engineering (1932), drama (1955), and management (1975). Women were admitted to the graduate school in 1892 and to Yale College in 1969. The Yale Library, one of the largest in the nation, houses a large number of important collections, including the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Also notable are the Peabody Museum of Natural History, the well-known Yale Univ. Art Gallery, expanded in 2012, and the Yale Center for British Art. Yale Univ. Press was established in 1908.
See E. Oviatt, The Beginnings of Yale (1916, repr. 1969); J. Lever and P. Schwartz, Women at Yale (1971); B. M. Kelley, Yale: A History (1974).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Colleges, U.S.