See H. G. J. Rutten and M. A. M. Van Venrooij, Telescope Optics: Evaluation and Design (1988); R. N. Wilson, Reflecting Telescope Optics: Basic Design Theory and Its Historical Development (1996); R. Moore, Eyes on the Universe: The Story of the Telescope (1997); S. F. Tonkin et al., Amateur Telescope Making (1998); J. B. Zirker, An Acre of Glass: A History and Forecast of the Telescope (2005).
Sections in this article:
- Types of Optical Telescopes
- Images Produced by Optical Telescopes
- Resolving and Magnifying Power
- Arrangement of Mirrors in a Reflector
- The Schmidt Telescope and Other Innovations
- Mounting the Telescope
- Evolution of Telescopes
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Astronomy: General