Saluzzo sälo͝ot´tsō [key], town (1991 pop. 15,872), Piedmont, NW Italy. It is an agricultural and industrial center. Manufactures include textiles, machinery, and processed food. It was the capital of the marquisate of Saluzzo from the 12th cent. to 1548, when it passed to France. The town came under the house of Savoy in 1601. The Gothic cathedral (c.1481–1511) contains sculptured tombs of the marquises.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Italian Political Geography