Fort Pulaski pəlăs´kē [key], brick fortification on Cockspur Island, SE Ga., at the mouth of the Savannah River; built 1829–47 by the U.S. government and named for Casimir Pulaski. The fort was seized by Georgia troops during the Civil War in Jan., 1861, but fell to a Union force under Q. A. Gillmore on Apr. 11, 1862, after a two-day bombardment in which the Federals used rifled cannon for the first time in the war; the battle proved the superiority of rifled cannon over masonry forts. Fort Pulaski National Monument was established in 1924 (see National Parks and Monuments, table).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2023, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. History