zap: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (zap), [key]
— v., n. zapped, zap•ping,
- to kill or shoot.
- to attack, defeat, or destroy with sudden speed and force.
- to bombard with electrical current, radiation, laser beams, etc.
- to strike or jolt suddenly and forcefully.
- to cook in a microwave oven.
- to skip over or delete (TV commercials), as by switching channels or pushing a fast-forward button on a playback device: We recorded the show on our VCR but zapped all the commercials.
- to add a sudden infusion of energy, verve, color, attractiveness, or the like (often fol. by up): just the thing to zap up your spring wardrobe.
- to move quickly, forcefully, or destructively: high-voltage currents zapping overhead.
- force, energy, or drive; zip.
- a jolt or charge, as or as if of electricity.
- a forceful and sudden blow, hit, or attack.
- any method of political activism, usually of a disruptive nature.
- zap (Thesaurus)