x-ray: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (eks'rā"), [key]
- Often,x-rays.a form of electromagnetic radiation, similar to light but of shorter wavelength and capable of penetrating solids and of ionizing gases.
- such radiation having wavelengths in the range of approximately 0.1–10 nm.
- a radiograph made by x-rays.
- (cap.) a word in communications to represent the letter X.
- to examine, photograph, or treat with x-rays.
- of or pertaining to x-rays.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.