wharf: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hwôrf, wôrf), [key]
— n., pl. v. wharves wharfs,
- a structure built on the shore of or projecting into a harbor, stream, etc., so that vessels may be moored alongside to load or unload or to lie at rest; quay; pier.
- a riverbank.
- the shore of the sea.
- to provide with a wharf or wharves.
- to place or store on a wharf: The schedule allowed little time to wharf the cargo.
- to accommodate at or bring to a wharf: The new structure will wharf several vessels.
- to tie up at a wharf; dock: The ship wharfed in the early morning.
- wharf (Thesaurus)