victory: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vik'tu-rē, vik'trē), [key]
— pl. -ries.
- a success or triumph over an enemy in battle or war.
- an engagement ending in such triumph: American victories in the Pacific were won at great cost.
- the ultimate and decisive superiority in any battle or contest: The new vaccine effected a victory over poliomyelitis.
- a success or superior position achieved against any opponent, opposition, difficulty, etc.: a moral victory.
- (cap.) the ancient Roman goddess Victoria, often represented in statues or on coins as the personification of victory.
- victory (Thesaurus)