Meaning of vampire
Pronunciation: (vam'pīr), [key]
- a preternatural being, commonly believed to be a reanimated corpse, that is said to suck the blood of sleeping persons at night.
- (in Eastern European folklore) a corpse, animated by an undeparted soul or demon, that periodically leaves the grave and disturbs the living, until it is exhumed and impaled or burned.
- a person who preys ruthlessly upon others; extortionist.
- a woman who unscrupulously exploits, ruins, or degrades the men she seduces.
- an actress noted for her roles as an unscrupulous seductress: the vampires of the silent movies.
- vampire (Thesaurus)