symposium: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sim-pō'zē-um), [key]
— pl. -si•ums, -si•a
- a meeting or conference for the discussion of some subject, esp. a meeting at which several speakers talk on or discuss a topic before an audience.
- a collection of opinions expressed or articles contributed by several persons on a given subject or topic.
- an account of a discussion meeting or of the conversation at it.
- (in ancient Greece and Rome) a convivial meeting, usually following a dinner, for drinking and intellectual conversation.
- (cap., italics) a philosophical dialogue (4th centuryb.c.) by Plato, dealing with ideal love and the vision of absolute beauty.
- symposium (Thesaurus)