stray: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (strā), [key]
- to deviate from the direct course, leave the proper place, or go beyond the proper limits, esp. without a fixed course or purpose; ramble: to stray from the main road.
- to wander; roam: The new puppy strayed from room to room.
- to go astray; deviate, as from a moral, religious, or philosophical course: to stray from the teachings of the church.
- to digress or become distracted.
- a domestic animal found wandering at large or without an owner.
- any homeless or friendless person or animal.
- a person or animal that strays: the strays of a flock.
- straying or having strayed, as a domestic animal.
- found or occurring apart from others or as an isolated or casual instance; incidental or occasional.
- undesired: stray capacitance.
- stray (Thesaurus)