Meaning of stonewall
Pronunciation: (stōn'wôl"), [key]
- to engage in stonewalling.
- filibuster (def. 3).
- (of a batsman) to play a defensive game, as by persistently blocking the ball instead of batting it for distance and runs.
- to block, stall, or resist intentionally: lobbying efforts to stonewall passage of the legislation.
- to obstruct (the passage of a legislative bill) in Parliament, esp. by excessive or prolonged debate.
- pertaining to or characteristic of stonewalling: a new round of stonewall tactics.
- stonewall (Thesaurus)