species: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spē'shēz, -sēz), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -cies,
- a class of individuals having some common characteristics or qualities; distinct sort or kind.
- the major subdivision of a genus or subgenus, regarded as the basic category of biological classification, composed of related individuals that resemble one another, are able to breed among themselves, but are not able to breed with members of another species.
- one of the classes of things included with other classes in a genus.
- the set of things within one of these classes.
- the external form or appearance of the bread or the wine in the Eucharist.
- either of the Eucharistic elements.
- specie; coin.
- the human race; mankind: a study of the species.
- pertaining to a plant that is a representative member of a species, one that is not a hybrid or variety: a species rose; a species gladiolus.
- species (Thesaurus)